So, 2013… gone… in the blink of an eye.
Can I call this year the Year of the Introvert? I kinda felt like one…
A few thoughts about design, the online social environment, and supplemental topics:
- I let design take a backburner and focused on illustration. It’s a lot more free… a lot more expressive.
- Creatives swear. Designers are never satisfied. Basically, Rule #6. Thin line, though…
- Online’s a battleground. Everyone’s trying to outdo each other. But, that’s basic king-of-the-hill dynamics. Also, it gets colder and lonelier as you attempt to ascend.
- At the beginning of the year, I made a definite stance on getting paid for work while noticing a significant drop-off on all the “let’s do work” talk.
- “A real photographer does this. A real designer does that.” A real client just wants you to meet their brief.
- Planning is often another form of procrastination.
- One story. Multiple authors. Choose your own adventure.
- Subscribers fall off. Maybe they get bored. Maybe they change the channel. Interested parties still consume the content.
- Work on the projects you want to work on. They have a stronger pull.
- My girlfriend’s a designer… which pretty much makes me a designer…
- Anything… is… possible. Time travel’s still up in the air, though. Need a hoverboard…
I hung out less; stayed at the office more; did a lot of introspection; joined a few online communities. The latter was to broaden horizons and explore different avenues. A lot of my work this year was really personal… probably because I’m getting older… probably because my kids are getting older. I have a teenager now. He has a youtube channel. My daughter… well… she’s still young. If you ever have children, you’ll understand… :)
No plans for next year. I’m gonna lamp for a while…
This is a semi-comprehensive look at the last 365 days:
RBST 2013 : A Year in Design… and Illustration…