Posts Tagged ‘illustration
Tags: 1, 2014, 3, 35th chamber, adobe, california, convoy, drawing, first, hausu, illustration, january, l. dula, mira mesa, mob, mttm, pencil, photoshop, rbst, RBSTimelapse, robeast, san diego, the many moods, time lapse, wacom
Tags: 1, 2, 2014, 35th chamber, california, convoy, drawing, first, hausu, illustration, january, l. dula, mira mesa, new years day, pencil, rbst, RBSTimelapse, robeast, san diego, the many moods, time lapse
This is my first pencil illustration of 2014. I posted a 15 second clip on instagram yesterday. The above time lapse is uncropped and slowed down to 30 seconds.
Music : an excerpt from The Many Moods of L.Dula.
So, 2013… gone… in the blink of an eye.
Can I call this year the Year of the Introvert? I kinda felt like one…
A few thoughts about design, the online social environment, and supplemental topics:
- I let design take a backburner and focused on illustration. It’s a lot more free… a lot more expressive.
- Creatives swear. Designers are never satisfied. Basically, Rule #6. Thin line, though…
- Online’s a battleground. Everyone’s trying to outdo each other. But, that’s basic king-of-the-hill dynamics. Also, it gets colder and lonelier as you attempt to ascend.
- At the beginning of the year, I made a definite stance on getting paid for work while noticing a significant drop-off on all the “let’s do work” talk.
- “A real photographer does this. A real designer does that.” A real client just wants you to meet their brief.
- Planning is often another form of procrastination.
- One story. Multiple authors. Choose your own adventure.
- Subscribers fall off. Maybe they get bored. Maybe they change the channel. Interested parties still consume the content.
- Work on the projects you want to work on. They have a stronger pull.
- My girlfriend’s a designer… which pretty much makes me a designer…
- Anything… is… possible. Time travel’s still up in the air, though. Need a hoverboard…
I hung out less; stayed at the office more; did a lot of introspection; joined a few online communities. The latter was to broaden horizons and explore different avenues. A lot of my work this year was really personal… probably because I’m getting older… probably because my kids are getting older. I have a teenager now. He has a youtube channel. My daughter… well… she’s still young. If you ever have children, you’ll understand… :)
No plans for next year. I’m gonna lamp for a while…
This is a semi-comprehensive look at the last 365 days:
RBST 2013 : A Year in Design… and Illustration…
Tags: 2013, 27, adobe, behind the scenes, california, december, design, heiyan, illustration, mira mesa, para sa mga tao, pencil, philippines, process, psmt, rbst, robeast, san diego, typhoon, wacom, yolanda
Purpose: Philippine Disaster Relief
Brief: Rise above and shine through the strife…
Tags: 2013, 27, adobe, akira, behind the scenes, bike punks, california, CHiPs, CHP, december, design, illustration, mira mesa, pencil, process, rbst, robeast, san diego, splice, thumbprint gallery, tpg, wacom
Gallery: Thumbprint Gallery
Brief: Combine (Splice) two intellectual properties or pop culture references into one piece.
Tags: 2013, 27, adobe, arnette, behind the scenes, california, december, design, encinitas, illustration, mira mesa, pencil, process, rbst, robeast, sagat, san diego, street fighter, t shirt, tournament, wacom, willy santos, willy's workshop
Tags: 2013, 26, b side, california, can't, december, design, dj, egyptian lover, hausu, hip hop, illustration, iv, march, mira mesa, pencil, power animals, rbst, robeast, san diego, scratch, t-rex, thumbprint gallery, tpg, tpg2, track 2, tyrannosaurus, wacom
On December 20, 2013, I asked Hip Hop’s eternal question.
What is a DJ if He Can’t Scratch…?